Sometimes all that you need on a rainy and cold day is a cup of hot pipping tea and some cheesy croquettes, tomato chutney or chili sauce. Although for many people this is a cheat dish because it is deep-fried, you can turn it into a semi-healthy dish by swapping cheese with broccoli, maize and other vegetables.You can also substitute cheese for chicken and fish. Croquettes are eaten throughout the world with only the preparation method that differs. I remember eating krokets in Netherlands from vending machines which were rolled in breadcrumb and deep fried.
- 2 cups self-raising flour
- 1 pinch of yellow food coloring
- 1 onion – chopped
- Cheese as much as you want
- 2 tbsp of semolina flour (optional)
- Salt to taste
- Frying Oil
- Cut the cheese into cubes
- In a large bowl, add the self-raising flour, semolina flour and water until a rich mixture is formed.
- Add the food coloring, chopped onion and thyme to the mixture.
- Finally add in salt to taste and mix it all well.
- Add some oil to the pan, note that the croquettes will be deep fried and one small cup of oil should be fine.
- Let it fry until it turns into a golden brown color
- Allow the oil to drain with help of a slotted spoon and tissue paper.
You may add in more flour to the mixture if it gets too watery. I also add two tbsp of semolina flour to the mixture which helps block oil when frying.
Tip : Do not overcrowd the pan and wait until the oil is heated to add the mixture.
I hope you’ve enjoyed reading this post, thank you for dropping by.